© Nicolas Merky
Welcome to SDC’s Agriculture and Food security web
Find more information about programs, partners and news on the web-platform of SDC's Shareweb Agriculture and Food security
Swiss development cooperation in the agricultural sector is having effects
The nearly CHF 1.2 billion deployed between 2003 and 2008 have helped to increase the production and the productivity of family-run agricultural enterprises, improve framework conditions for trade, and optimise the value chain between producers and consumers.
Rural development and food security
In many developing countries, agriculture plays a highly important role in terms of food security and is often a significant contributor to the national economy. Farming faces a number of problems related to the use of natural resources, land occupation, economic development and the preservation of cultural values, to name but as few. Most of all, however, agriculture is still often the only possible activity open to most of the poor population in rural regions.
By supporting farmers in the areas of production, marketing and the sustainable use of resources, the DDC is making a substantial contribution to poverty reduction. This approach is not likely to change in the near future, given the new challenges such as climate change that face food production.
Sustainable use of natural resources
| Rural production and service systems
Research and knowledge transfer with the close involvement of farming organisations is essential to ensure sustainable, efficient farming methods.
|Food aid – risk reduction and crisis prevention
Global food crises, natural disasters and conflicts have increased food insecurity. Food aid is one crucial way in which the humanitarian mandate to save lives and to alleviate suffering is put into practice. This is the first step on the path to sustainable food security.
Desertification is not the desert advancing, but rather a haemorrhaging of the soil's vital nutrients to the point where they are totally exhausted. The United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) speaks of «land degradation» to describe this phenomenon. Although Africa, Asia, and Latin America are worst hit by desertification, it should not be forgotten that all 5 continents are affected.
The growing number and scale of land investments in developing countries affect food security locally. Effective regulatory frameworks that above all benefit the poor are needed to improve food security and to ensure sustainable management of land and other natural resources.
Contact: Global Programme Food Security
Additional Information and DocumentsDocuments
- Switzerland’s contribution - The achievements of SDC in 2006–2010
Results in the areas of Health, Employment, Basic and further education, Agriculture, Rule of law and democracy, Water, Humanitarian Aid, Partnering with NGOs
Download (PDF, 5805 KB) : [de] [en] [fr]
- Interview mit dem DEZA Direktor Martin Dahinden zum Landwirtschaftsbereich im Schweizer Bauer
Download (PDF, 857 KB) : [de]
- SDC Global Programme Food Security (GPFS) - Strategic Framework 2010 - 2015
Download (PDF, 1455 KB) : [en]
- L’accent multilatéral / Septembre 2011 : Du producteur au consommateur
La sécurité alimentaire, une chaîne de valeur
Download (PDF, 2108 KB) : [de] [fr]
- Securing enough food for all
Download (PDF, 2324 KB) : [en] [fr]
- When food markets do not provide enough food - Lessons from the recent food price crisis
InfoResources Focus No1/09
Download (PDF, 766 KB) : [en]
- Rede Martin Dahinden: Welche Rahmenbedingungen für Ernährungssicherheit, ETH Zürich, 23.05.2012
Download (PDF, 106 KB) : [de]
- Un seul monde
Disponible seulement en Suisse
No. 3/2010 : Sécurité alimentaire / Laos / Haïti
Download (PDF, 2125 KB) : [de] [fr] [it]
- Flyer Food Security
Download (PDF, 2091 KB) : [de] [en] [fr] [es]
- Report on Effectiveness: Swiss development cooperation in the agricultural sector 2010
Download (PDF, 2919 KB) : [de] [en] [fr]
Fund for Agricultural Development
The International Fund for Agricultural Development, IFAD, is a specialized agency of the United Nat...
Articles and Press releases
- Switzerland to increase its aid to fight rural poverty
- Améliorer les politiques foncières pour lutter contre l'insécurité alimentaire
- Declaration for Rio+20: A change of course is needed in the agricultural sector
- Symposium zu Landwirtschaft und Ernährungssicherheit: Innovationen fördern, Bern 17.11.2010
- De la semence à la crédence – Voies d’accès à un système alimentaire mondial durable
- World Summit on Food Security, Rome, 16-18 November
- Investments in Agriculture: Opportunities and Risks for Food Security
- UN reaffirms agriculture and the environment at the centre of sustainable development